I have heard about different forms of meditation and tried a few methods before sticking to my current routine. Here are a few things I believe can help you in practicing meditation.
1) There is no goal or success or results in meditation. So relax, chill and start with ease. Meditation has nothing to do with your mind/ego perception, this has everything to do with your connection with your sacred inner self.
2) Whether you do breathing meditation or chanting mantra meditation or guided meditation, just a short 5-10 minutes of meditation time should make you feel absolutely very relaxed, happy and comfortable like a little baby. So go try different methods until you figure out the right method for you to get into silence.
3) As a rule of thumb a good meditation session for a beginner is the one in which you feel totally and completely at ease, relaxed, sleepy yawn and almost ready to fall asleep.
4) stop worrying about the duration, you can start with as little as 10 minutes a day every day and it is just perfect.
5) stop worrying about if your breathing faster or slower just breath and just notice/observe your breath. that’s all you simply have to do.
6) There is no rocket science in meditation, it is the most natural thing to do. We all know it already! Making time for it, scheduling time to sit still and honoring the time is all the more difficult than being in meditation. Since all the above require disciplining your mind and body.
7) Start with 10 minutes a day stick to it. It is never too late. Consistency is the key. Be committed.
Have a happy meditation day!
When you are at sea, keep clear of the land. – Publilius Syrus.